Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

21 August 2006

The Desire to Retire


B (my husband) and I spend an inordinate amount of time talking and dreaming of retirement. When we motor, we look for place to retire to. Given a couple of free minutes, we talk about our dreams for when we retire. We have our house planned, with the master suite on the main floor so when I am crippled I will still be able to make to the bedroom for my beauty sleep. The last idea was provided by B (he calls me "grandma.") The master bathtub would have a view, and B would finally have his workshop, where he would be able to break things in peace.
We would like to have a few acres, so we can have some chickens, horses and fainting goats. For those of you not familiar with fainting goats, when they get frightened, their muscles freeze and they fall over. When everything is okay, they get right back up and proceed with life as if nothing happened. Just think of the power! Everyone falls over in your presence. Ultimately, as long as I have internet and bookmobile access, I will be fine. We would also like to have enough land so that we can lay naked outside and no one would ever know.
A few years ago, I found an interesting ad in one of our local sailing rags. Someone was selling a private 16-acre island up in British Columbia for $495,000. This was when the exchange rate was extremely favorable. We were ready to sell our house and get the hell out of Dodge! Finally, our ugly little sailboat would have a purpose. Alas, 'twas not to be. I still have the ad in case we might want to buy an island some day.
In reality, we are unfortunately a ways away from retirement. We spend a disproportionate amount of time talking about not working as opposed to actually working. We are not people who get bored if they aren't working. What is wrong with people who have to work to fill their time? Isn't time for reading, motoring, sailing, watching PBS?
Maybe someone will die and leave us some cash...

3 Comments:

Blogger D. said...

I also have the same (unfortunate) approach to retirement savings: maybe some rich relative I don't know about will knock off and leave me a chunk. Or lotto tickets. Hee.

Thanks for stopping by my place by the way!

21 August, 2006 13:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I might try lotto tickets also. Thanks for the suggestion!

21 August, 2006 14:50  
Blogger Lizza said...

Gawd, I have a similar dream. A deserted island where I can go skinny dipping with no one to see me but the birds and the fish.

However, there should also be broadband Internet access and my island should be just a half hour's boat ride away from civilization in case of emergency. :-)

27 August, 2006 12:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home