Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

28 August 2006

On Having an Accent


My family has been in America for a long time, but my parents still have heavy accents. Us kids learned English too early in life to retain an accent- I think you have to be about ten or eleven years old to keep one. Given this, we have a lot of fun with our parents' accents.
My brother had these little stories.
My dad called my brother L's office, and said that he was L's dad. L's boss thought my dad said that L was dead.
One day, L's boss said that a lady with a sexy European accent was on the phone. My brother answered the phone expecting something, and then it was "Hi Ma."
Then there was an incident with my younger sister. My mother was telling my older sister that she had a hard time turning people down with invitations to go out. S suggested that she say "I think I'll have to pass on that one." When my younger sister called to ask her out, my mother replied with "I think I'll have to pass on that one." A few minutes later, J called my mother back and said, "Why do you have to take a bath at one? That's the worst excuse I've ever heard."

5 Comments:

Blogger INAMINI said...

I will pass that on to my parents.

28 August, 2006 10:51  
Blogger Mum said...

Too funny! My dad was British and I was born here (WA State). He never lost his accent and would often use terms we don't in the US, or pronounce them "correctly". I never appreciated it as a kid! - Great Blog!

28 August, 2006 23:25  
Blogger INAMINI said...

nuggy's mum- Something funny, my dad still tells us how to pronounce English words!
Thanks for the compliment!

29 August, 2006 08:25  
Blogger Lizza said...

What funny, funny stories! Personally, I think some European accents are sexy though...even if they're hard to understand sometimes. ;-)

29 August, 2006 11:46  
Blogger INAMINI said...

Lizza- half the fun is misunderstanding them!

29 August, 2006 12:15  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home