Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

27 November 2006

Logging Trucks


A little over a year ago, a good friend of my father's was killed in an accident with a logging truck. He was driving behind the over-loaded logging truck when the logs became loose, and crashed into the car. He and the passenger didn't stand a chance- the logs went straight into the windshield. Further investigation found that the truck had not passed the mandatory safety inspection, and was legally not supposed to be on the road.
Logging is big business here, and logging trucks are everywhere. I get the creeps just being around them, and not just because I am driving a MINI Cooper. All I see is the truck falling apart and the logs rolling off onto me.
Last Friday, I was watching the local news, and there were some recent developments involving the accident. Apparently, the driver, Garland Massingham, is still driving logging trucks. He has been charged with two counts of vehicular homicide, but he has not been convicted yet (that's assuming he will be convicted.) The law says that until he is convicted, he is still qualified to drive personal and commercial vehicles, and that he can keep his job at JB Leonard.
Well, it seems that two weeks ago our little killer was driving another load of logs, and he turned a corner too sharply, and lost another load. He was also under the influence of meth. Thank goodness no one was hurt, although I wish that Massingham had sustained some life-altering injuries.
I'm fuming. I just love the legal system here.
I am not telling my father about this.
On a good note, Wal-Mart stock has dropped for the first time in a decade.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lizza said...

That is just crazy. I hope no else has to die before they put him away.

28 November, 2006 07:48  
Blogger kara said...

Wow. That's every Northwesterner's nightmare, isn't it. I guess I can be glad I'm a left lane hog. Those trucks are barely ever in the left lane. Oh, and SCREW WALMART, yeah!

28 November, 2006 10:34  
Blogger INAMINI said...

Lizza- I'm waiting for that.

Kara- Unfortunately, the accident happened on a two-lane highway.
Screw Walmart.

28 November, 2006 13:02  
Blogger KJP said...

I lost my great uncle this way, only he took it broadside to his car and was launched into Larson's Bay at Tillimook.

It was six weeks before the letter reached me in Germany telling about what had happend.

Like you really wanted the driver tried for murder, but with laws what they were - my uncle was just a statistic.....

And don't forget that Sam's Club is owned by Wal-Mart! At least I have not seen one around Switzerland, yet!

28 November, 2006 21:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Massingham was on meth on both occasions. He lives in the same area as I do, and I have heard that he is also violent to women, or anyone for that matter when he gets hyped up on meth and booze. I can only hope that he gets put away for life. I have heard nothing good about this guy, and shame on the logging company for keeping him on the payroll after the fatal incident!

13 December, 2006 12:41  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home