Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

14 November 2006

Blankies


I got a new down comforter last weekend, the first blanket/comforter I have ever paid for. (P.S. This is not my bedroom- that would be just too embarrassing.)
I have had the same two wool blankets my whole life, along with rather anemic comforter I got for Christmas aeons ago. The blankets are from Holland (big surprise.) Lately, I just can't seem to stay very warm at night because the comforter has become anorexic and wasn't doing the job. I was talking to my mother about the old blankets. I thought they were inexpensive blankets my parents had gotten whenthey got married.
My mother told me those two wool blankets had kept my great-grandparents warm during the Hunger Winter during WWII. Wow. That sort of made me sit down (chances are I was already sitting down.) I had no idea! One of the blankets is a very thick wool blanket with a velvet edge around it, and the other is made of red and off-white wool. I have had the red one since I was in my cradle.
Immediately, I made plans to retire the wool blankets and get me a certified huge down comforter. And I did. The wool blankets are now in a safe place, where they will retain a place of honor in my house.
And I slept warmly ever after.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger kara said...

I think this generation just gets colder than the older ones...case in point...those puffy jackets everyone wears now. No one had those 70 years ago. We are weaklings.

15 November, 2006 08:59  
Blogger Nikki Neurotic said...

Wow, that's pretty cool about the blankets. I wonder if we have any super old blankets around the house?

17 November, 2006 17:49  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I don't know about blankets but I have an NFL pillow case that my mom bought for me when I was 5 years old. It's so faded now you can barely recognize any of the team logos.

Maybe it's because I've had it for so long but I can tell you what team belongs to each faded, almost invisible shape on the pillow case.

Might be time to part ways.......

22 November, 2006 22:18  
Blogger Serena said...

horray down comforters!

they are so comfy and warm... although if i were you i'd keep one of those old blankes on the bed as a layer between you and the big puffy white thing on top of you. yes, they are all warm and snuggly... until you get stabed in teh foot by a feather! beware, it does happen!

other htan that, enjoy!

24 November, 2006 14:19  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home