Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

09 September 2006

Palouse Falls


Palouse Falls is in Southeastern Washington. It is spectacular. It looks like you're driving on a flat plateau, and then, bam, you're standing over these falls. The view of all that water going down into a deep pool, and then flowing down the canyon, is mesmerizing.
There are five small falls above the main falls. Native American legend has it that the beaver god was being chased down the canyon, and then he flapped his tail five times, creating the smaller falls. The god then jumped down and landed at the bottom of the falls, and then resumed running. The streaks of basalt rock were formed by the beaver clawing the sides of the basalt walls.
These pictures were taken over many years, during different seasons. The falls and canyon are always beautiful. Eastern Washington's geology was formed mainly by volcanic basalt eruptions and glacial activity. Palouse Falls is south of the glacial activity, and it is mainly basalt and basalt formations Another Native American story is that the lichen plants that bloom along the canyon walls were the result of a food fight among some female gods.

Aren't these stories better than boring old geology?

7 Comments:

Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I love these pictures. I haven't been near the falls since I was a teen, but these pics recalled my visit clearly. Thanks for sharing them!

09 September, 2006 17:42  
Blogger Lizza said...

These pics are beautiful, and the legends associated with the falls are very interesting. Egad, food fight among some female gods? Thanks for the geology/folklore lesson!

09 September, 2006 22:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quilldancer- thanks for the comments. I love going to the falls, and I end up taking the same pictures over and over again, sort of like taking the same family holiday pictures.

lizza- there are lots of neat stories from the Native Americans about this part of the world. I always seem to remeber them instead of the scientific explanations!

10 September, 2006 11:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures is like something out of a postcard! You should sell them at online stock photo websites and earn money! I love you blog! I'll be coming back for more...

10 September, 2006 16:49  
Blogger INAMINI said...

the foo- thanks for the compliment-I never really knew what to do with those millions of photos in boxes. I will check for more secret compartments on your blog also!

10 September, 2006 18:06  
Blogger Angela said...

What a beautiful site!! I spent four years in Kennewick and *wish* I would have spent time exploring the beauty of the Palouse. Thanks so much for visiting and for adding the piece about our pets.

I've heard so many sad stories of animals sent to shelters after their owners died. They were simply heart broken. I hope I am continuing to learn through all these experiences just how much animals (and people) should be cherished.

Thanks for the photos. They're gorgeous!

11 September, 2006 16:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angela- thanks for visiting. I am a very strong pet advocate, and my main worry is what will happen to my cats when I die. I am that *crazy old cat lady*!

11 September, 2006 17:14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home