Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

07 September 2006

Stealth Gardening


I just realized that it's getting time to buy bulbs for spring flowering. The rules at our townhouse prohibit planting stuff in the small space in the back and the one in the front. They have planted these ugly shrubs and used the mulch that means that we did something really bad in our previous life- beauty bark.


That stuff is nasty. If you don't know what it is, it's chunks of cedar bark, a by-product of logging. I'll give that it looks nice at first- all woody and red-brown. Then it starts to fade, and now it just looks like dried-out crap. It is terrible to work with; I don't know how many invisible splinters I have gotten.
Anyway, I have planted some pots, but it just isn't the same as having a garden. That is truly the one thing I miss from having a house. B and I have decided to "Bend the Rules," and plant tulip and daffodil bulbs. We're pretty sure that we'll have to do it late at night. We'll rake up the beauty bark, find the soil, which will probably be mostly clay. Then we'll add good soil, get those bulbs stuffed down there, and add bulb food. Return the beauty bark, and no-one will know until the flowers pop up. Won't they be surprised!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful-beautiful flowers. I love the sight & scent of them.

The four seasons as you guys experience them is something enviable. Here, we have rain season and summer. That's it. So you're either wet from sweat, or wet from rain. Either way...

Mulch is good. Just gotta bury a deep hole (somewhere), bury it & wet the place all the time. After the bacteria do their work... its free fertilizer. More flowers!

07 September, 2006 21:00  
Blogger Lizza said...

The non-planting townhouse rules you have sure suck. Go ahead and be sneaky late at night! That'll show them. The idea of you and B tiptoeing outside late at night to plant flowers is so cool. The flower pics are so beautiful! Maybe you could also plant something like this. But then, you might get kicked out of your townhouse.

07 September, 2006 22:28  
Blogger kara said...

I'll bet you find bodies under the mulch. THAT'S why they don't want you digging in it.

Homeowner Associations are a bunch of botanical nazis if you ask me. Of course, you didn't, but I seem to be sharing my opinion anyway.

08 September, 2006 07:56  
Blogger INAMINI said...

corky- I'm thinking there's nothing natural under there. Gotta find some leaves and grass cuttings, then put the bark on top. Before you know it, our little patch will have gained a couple feet of altitude!

lizza- I love those plants you recommended. I'm not sure if beauty bark is the correct medium, though!

kara- something tells me you would be a great partner-in-crime for my little plots.

08 September, 2006 13:59  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home