Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

13 September 2006

A Tour Of Tiles


This will be sort of a picture post- I seem to have run out of day. Hate it when that happens.

All my life, not surprisingly, I have been surrounded by Dutch tiles. Most are known as Delft tiles, but there other types of tiles also. When I went back, I fell in love with the extravagent displays of tiles in fireplace design. I've had a secret desire (yes, a very tame desire) to tile my kitchens with Dutch tiles, but then I would have to tear up my kitchen and bring it with us every time we move. Not very practical.

The first picture is from a house dated 1764, belonging to a friend of my father's. It was so 'gezelig' (roughly meaning cozy, cofortable) to sit in the arm chair and read in this room. The fireplace was magnificent- they were in the process of restoring it.The next two pictures are from Rembrandt's house, dated 1606. I wasn't allowed to get really close to the fireplaces, but they were beautiful. Just being in the house that he painted "The Nightwatch" was something special. Seeing his studio and the tools he used made me feel a little closer to history.
The last picture is from the "Openlucht Museum" in Arnhem, where actual old buildings have been moved from the whole country to make an open-air museum. This was the interior of a middle-class family's house. Very gezelig!



PS- I'm sorry this post looks so bad. I couldn't for the life of me get the pictures to post more attractively, and I finally cried myself to sleep.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizza said...

That must've been quite an experience. I like history too, and visiting an old, historic structure sounds wonderful. Very nice photos!

13 September, 2006 23:48  
Blogger kara said...

If dutch tile mosaics hooked up with spanish tile mosaics...what kind of tile babies would they have?

14 September, 2006 12:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lizza- thanks!

kara, kara- must you always stump with your questions? The offspring would be...Danish?

14 September, 2006 13:35  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

mmmm... Danish. Cream cheese Danish...
oh wait, we're talking Delft tiles here. This post took me back to Gram's kitchen. She had the kitchen re-modeled in the early 70's, and she had all the Delft tiles that she & my grandfather had collected on European vacations during the 60's tiled around the sink & stove. I loved those tiles.
I hate to say it, but I went into that house a few years ago (I drove past, they were having an Open House/For Sale and I did a U-ey and went in). I about cried when I saw that sometime after Gram moved out, someone had re-done the kitchen and torn out those tiles. But I'll always have them in my mind...
thanks for sharing this post & bringing back some sweet memories.

14 September, 2006 14:51  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home