Book Reviews, Cat Reviews and Life Reviews

Welcome to my blog! Check out this site for recommended books, stories about my cats, and stories from my life (real and sometimes imaginary.) Have fun! Unless noted, all photos have not been edited in any way. All content on this site is copyright INAMINI. All rights reserved.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington State, United States

11 September 2006

Where I Was


Where was I on 9/11? I was in Holland on a long-awaited journey into my past and my future. I wanted to see how all my parts fit together, and what might happen to the whole.
On 9/11, I was sitting at home alone, surfing the channels. My father and B were out grocery shopping. The house was pretty dark, and I was enjoying the aloneness. We'd been around each other a lot in the preceding weeks, and were, in fact, scheduled to come home on 15 September.
I ended up on CNN, and I saw the first plane hit the tower. I thought it was a movie special effect, and then I saw the second plane hit. Then I knew it was real. I sort of sat there in shock, and then I wanted to say something, but there was no one else there. It was a weird feeling. I just didn't know what to do.
B and my dad finally came home. We watched the news- stunned. What do you say? We watched it over and over again, but nothing got better. I don't even remember if we called my mother- I think my dad did. Since she was on the west coast, she found out after it had happened..

What was unexpected was that neighbors that we hadn't even met came over to say how sorry they were about the attacks. The owner of the house said that we could stay there as long as we needed if we couldn't return home as scheduled. The kindness of strangers... It was all a great upheaval, and we had no precedent to guide us. We didn'tnow if we were going to get home, if we had to contact a bunch of people to rearrange our return
As it was, we were able to return. Our tickets were through a Canadian airline (read cheap), and while their were no U.S. flights going out of Schiphol, the Canadian ones were. I'm not sure if I should say we were lucky...

4 Comments:

Blogger Lizza said...

Sad memories of that day for so many people. And yes, the kindness of strangers can be overwhelming.

I like the shoes picture.

12 September, 2006 00:12  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

LOVE the pic of the wooden shoes!
glad to know you got home safely.
I agree about the kindness of strangers during the aftermath of 9/11 -- from being in Egypt during that time, I can totally relate.
thanks for sharing this with us.

12 September, 2006 08:40  
Blogger INAMINI said...

lizza and morgen- I actually thought I left a comment yesterday, and now I'm discovering otherwise- sorry!
The wooden shoe picture was my favorite from my Holland batch. The shoes were not arranged- they had benn there like that the month we were there, waiting patiently for their elderly owner to return. Sadly, he passed away (he was a friend of my father's) and the house was sold and torn down. Progress is everywhere. Thanks for the comments.

13 September, 2006 19:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved house on 9/11. It was so surreal when we tried to set up the telly. You're right - it does look like a film special efftect, only it's sort of chilling because it isn't.

I'm going now, because you probably think I'm spamming you! :-) See ya.

15 September, 2006 16:29  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home